Air Fryer Southwestern Style Corn and Bacon Rangoons
- 1/2 cup 505 Southwestern®️ Chunky Green Chile Salsa
- 2 tablespoons 505 Southwestern®️ Flame Roasted Green Chile
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz Monterey jack cheese or pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 green onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles, or 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ear corn, kernels cut from cob, about ½ cup
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 package (6 oz) wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup 505 Southwestern®️ Restaurant Style Salsa , more if needed
- Cotija cheese, for garnish
Makes 24 rangoons
The Grand Prize winner of our 25 Years of Flavor Recipe Contest, by Merry Graham! A quick and easy appetizer your tribe will love making together, especially the kids. Rangoons may look fancy and hard to fold but oh my gosh it’s a breeze. Creamy Salsa Verde Corn dotted with smoky bacon, cilantro, and green onions is the base of this addicting filling. And for that added green chile pop, add a few tablespoons of 505 Southwestern Green Chile. Grab that jar of 505 Southwestern Restaurant Style Salsa too because it makes a delicious dip for this fusion rangoon! And watch out, make plenty, Bacon Rangoons go quick!
- In a medium bowl, mix 505SW™️ Chunky Green Chile Salsa, 505SW™️ Flame Roasted Green Chile, cream cheese, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, 2 tablespoons green onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro, bacon crumbles, and cumin, until well mixed. Set aside.
- Toss corn kernels and oil together. Heat a cast iron skillet or skillet of choice over medium-high heat. Scatter corn into a hot skillet, stirring only when needed to prevent burning. Once at least half of the corn is charred, transfer to the bowl with green chile cream cheese mixture and stir until well mixed. Set aside. (Tip: Resist salting the corn while charring because the bacon will add enough saltiness.)
- Place a wonton wrapper on a parchment paper-lined work surface. (Tip: Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper and sprinkle with cornstarch.) Keep the remaining wonton wrappers in the package, removing only one at a time. Place 1/2 tablespoon green chile cream cheese filling onto the center of a wonton wrapper. Use a wet finger to moisten the edges of the wrapper with water. Pull two corners that are diagonal from each other to the center, then the other two corners. Press to seal and form a pyramid.
- Fry the Rangoons
- Method 1 Crisp in an Air Fryer: Spray or brush the outside with oil. Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Carefully place a single layer of Rangoons on the air fryer rack. Working in batches, cook until the Rangoons are golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Method 2 Crisp in Hot Oil: Heat canola oil, about 3-inches deep, in a medium saucepan, to 350°F to 370°F. Working in single layer batches, fry the Rangoons until golden brown all over, about 4 minutes. Pat dry on a paper towel then quickly move to a cooking rack.
- In a small serving bowl, mix 505SW™️ Restaurant Style Salsa, and about 2 tablespoons of green onions and 2 tablespoons of cilantro. Place the salsa bowl in the center of a serving platter lined with shredded cabbage or greens. Right before serving, arrange Corn and Bacon Rangoons around the salsa. Sprinkle Cotija cheese, cilantro, and green onions over the entire platter.