Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 1 C sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 C white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 C smoked gouda shredded
- 1 C Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 1/4 C chicken broth
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 1 lb noodles (any will work, but we like spiral)
- 1/4 C unsalted butter
- 1/4 C flour
- 1 (16oz) jar 505 Southwestern®️ Green Chile Sauce (Mild, Medium or Hot)
- 3-4 Tbsp garlic minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 C bacon crumbles optional
● parmesan for topping, optional
Green Chile Sauce
Makes 8 servings
15 minutes prep time and 20 minutes cook time
This homemade baked mac & cheese is creamy, cheesy (we use 4 different types of cheese!), and a little bit spicy. Control the heat level by using mild, medium, or hot 505SW™️ Green Chile Sauce. Top it with crisp bacon and parmesan cheese (technically the 5th cheese in the recipe!) to add a little crunch. Creation courtesy of The Oven Light.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions (make sure to cook al dente because the noodles will continue to soak up the sauce when it's baked).
- While noodles are cooking, melt butter in a large skillet. Add flour, whisking until combined.
- Add milk & broth, whisking until smooth.
- Simmer on low until it begins to thicken. It should coat the back of a spoon (see video).
- Add all 4 cheeses, 505SW™️ Green Chile Sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until cheese melts and no lumps remain.
- In a large bowl combine cooked noodles and spicy cheese sauce, tossing until evenly coated.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9"x13" pan.
- Top with bacon crumbles and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until browned on top. Serve immediately. ENJOY!
If you prefer less spice, use 505SW™️ *Mild* Green Chile Sauce.
The mac & cheese may seem super saucy when you put it in the oven but the noodles will continue to absorb liquid as it is cooked.
To make ahead, complete the recipe but do not put it in the oven. Cover with foil and freeze or refrigerate until ready to use. To heat, place in the oven covered in foil for 40-60 minutes or until heated through.