Soft Pretzel Bites
IngredientsFor the Dough
- 1 C 505 Southwestern®️ Tomatillo Garlic & Lime Salsa* more or less to taste - see notes
- 1/2 C water
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast or one packet
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 3 - 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 5 C water
- 1/4 C baking soda
- 1 egg whisked
- Kosher salt for sprinkling on top
- 505 Southwestern®️ Green Chile Queso for dipping
Makes 48 pretzel bites
Using our Tomatillo Garlic & Lime Salsa instead of water adds a bit of kick and a ton of flavor to these homemade soft pretzels! Dip the pretzel bites in our Green Chile Queso for the ultimate snack! They feed a crowd and can be made ahead and reheated. Thanks to our friends at The Oven Light for creating this delicious treat!
- In a bowl or glass measuring cup combine 505SW™️ Tomatillo Salsa and water and heat until warm but not hot (about 110°F).
- In a stand mixer combine heated salsa water mixture, yeast and sugar. Allow yeast to "bloom" about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low fitted with the dough hook, add salt and flour a half cup at a time until dough forms a ball and is no longer sticky to the touch.
- Cover bowl with a cloth or plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine water and baking soda in a large dutch oven or pot. Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, divide dough into 4 equal balls.
- Roll out dough with your hands into a long "snake".
- Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut dough into 2 inch segments.
- Continue cutting until all dough is now in bite size pieces.
- Drop 5 pieces into the baking soda bath for 10 seconds and remove with a slotted spoon, placing them on the parchment covered baking sheet.
- Continue with remaining pieces.
- Gently brush bites with egg wash and generously sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake at 425°F for 13-15 minutes or until a deep golden brown (like soft pretzels).
- Serve these warm with 505SW™️ Green Chile Queso.
Notes: If you prefer the bites with a bit more of a "kick" then omit water and use 1 1/2 C **505SW™️ Tomatillo Salsa** instead.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, place in the microwave until warm and then place in the broiler for 2 minutes to add a little crunch.