Vegan Mexican Mac
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 oz. OZO™️ Plant-Based Mexican Ground
- 1 cup (1 medium) green bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1 Tablespoon (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in 2 cups water overnight, then drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup (1 small) yellow onion, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup 505 Southwestern®️ Restaurant Style Salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro, for garnish
Restaurant Style Salsa
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25-30 minutes Total Time: 35-40 minutes
This plant-based mac ‘n "cheese" was created in partnership with our friends at OZO plant-based protein. Even meat-eaters and dairy-lovers can’t get enough!
- Boil macaroni and cook it according to the package directions until al dente.
- Drain the pasta into a colander, return it to the pot, and toss it with 1 Tablespoon of oil.
- Warm remaining 2 Tablespoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet placed over medium heat.
- Add Mexican ground, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, and black pepper to the skillet.
- Cook until internal temperature reaches 165°F and peppers are soft, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add drained cashews, vegetable broth, onion, nutritional yeast, arrowroot starch, and turmeric to the jar of a blender.
- Blend until very smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Add the cashew cheese sauce to the pot with the noodles, along with the cooked ground mixture and 505SW™️ Salsa.
- Stir with a spatula to combine and turn stove to medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened slightly and mixture is warmed through. Serve immediately, topping with cilantro, if desired.